On Thursday 27th and Friday 28th October, students in Years 7-11 watched ‘Chelsea’s Story’, performed live by internationally renowned Alter Ego, to raise awareness around the issues surrounding Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE). The play, which has now been seen by thousands of professionals and over 1 million young people throughout the UK, is followed by an actor facilitated post-show talk exploring the issues raised:
· What makes a Healthy Relationship
· What makes an Unhealthy Relationship
· Safe Internet Use/Sexting
· The Grooming Process, CSE & the differing methods that perpetrators can use
· Avoiding Victim Blaming
· Where to go for help & advice
For adult audiences it also:-
· Raises awareness of the warning signs of exploitation
· Raises awareness of the journey that young people may have been on that has resulted in them being exploited – a journey that can all too easily make it seem as though they have ‘made their own choices’ and can leave them not seeing themselves as victims and fighting against any intervention.
This is a powerful and thought-provoking topic. Please take time to ask your son/daughter about this. The school website has advice on our safeguarding page, and the school's Designated Safeguarding Leads are available for any questions.